Re: Fuel Gauge Conversion Sender??

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Dodge Power Wagon Forum]

Posted by Clint Dixon [] on Sunday, January 09, 2022 at 08:52:58 :

In Reply to: Fuel Gauge Conversion Sender?? posted by Marty [] on Saturday, January 08, 2022 at 23:31:21 :

The earlier two wire Auto-Lite fuel level gauge set used on our Power-Wagons is of the thermostatic type that convert energy from electrical, to thermal, to mechanical. Electrical current enters the dash unit where it divides, with one half going to each heating coil - each coil is wound around a separate bimetal strip. This creates two independent heating elements that bend in response to temperature and act as mechanical levers to push the indicator needle either towards the empty or towards the full mark. There are two more bimetal strips that compensate for external ambient temperatures.

From the two heating elements, the current flows through the two wires to the tank unit where they connect through a winding. It is then grounded through variable resistance dependent upon where the contact from the float is touching the winding.

A completely different concept than the later one wire system.


Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Optional Link
Optional Image Link

(1) Type your Message (2) Load New Code (3) Type new code into box. (4) Click "Post Message" button