Posted by Vaughn [184.108.40.206] on Saturday, February 20, 2021 at 09:58:15 :
In Reply to: re install tension wavey spring front axle knuckle posted by Craig Klages [220.127.116.11] on Friday, February 19, 2021 at 20:56:53 :
Ok, I will try to explain how to do it:
- Looking at the spring, it is cone angled. Place the large side of the cone in the retainer spring groove opposite side of retainer that attaches to the knuckle.
- Start the spring at one end of the retainer and feed it into the groove, do not try to feed it into the retainer by slipping it around the groove, and do not overlap the retainer joint with the spring, it must match the ends of the retainer. You may need to push against the spring end to adjust the ends. If the spring overlaps the joint, and you install it that way, you will have to remove the seal and spring before you can it get off the axle the next time.
- Soak the felt seals (long/short) in motor oil before installing the long seal in retainer.
- Start the felt seal at one end joint of the retainer and apply a good amount of pressure to press the seal into the groove. The seal will tend to flare out and hang against the sides of the groove, so have a flat screwdriver handy to press against the sides of the seal while pressing on the seal, working it, to slip it in. Press in till the seal stops and continue working it in around the retainer.
- Once the seal is in and you are at the next joint end, the felt seal may be a little long, if so, cut off flush to the retainer end.
- Twist the retainer to get it over the axle to install.
Image at link may help.
Post a Followup