Posted by Vaughn [22.214.171.124] on Friday, January 22, 2021 at 10:05:15 :
In Reply to: Gear oil used in the differential? posted by AVaughn [126.96.36.199] on Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 20:22:13 :
Exert from the Military Specification MIL-L-2105D dated 8-7-87 for Lubrication oil, Gear, Multipurpose for the following grades: 75W – GO-75, 80W-90 – GO 80W/90, 85W-140 – GO 85W/140.
- COMPATIBILITY – compatibility with other gear oils,
- MOISTURE CORROSION – prevent or minimize corrosion to gear components in the present of moisture,
- THERMAL OXIDATION STABILITY – oil shall resist chemical and thermal oxidation,
- LOAD CARRYING, EXTREME PRESSURE AND DEPOSIT CHARACTERISTIC – oil shall prevent or minimize gear distress and lubricant deposits,
- GEAR SCORING – oil shall minimize gear scoring,
- GEAR DISTRESS AND DEPOSITS – oil shall prevent gear tooth ridging, rippling, pitting, welding and excessive wear and does not produce excessive wear, pitting or corrosion of bearing rollers, races, or thrust washers.
- COPPER CORROSION – oil shall minimize copper corrosion.
When looking for gear oil, look for the above standards as a guide in choosing a gear oil.
Post a Followup