Re: Connecting Rod Bushings

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Dodge Power Wagon Forum]

Posted by wayneh [] on Monday, February 11, 2019 at 07:55:16 :

In Reply to: Connecting Rod Bushings posted by Matt Wilson [] on Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 21:45:00 :


Sunnen makes an electric "connecting rod heater" that is designed to heat (and expand) the rod. After you get it hot you have about 10 seconds to push the bushing in before it cools and contracts and you have to start over. There is also a special tool to push the bushing in straight with lots of adapters to fit different rod size.

After the bushings are in they need to be honed to specification. I'm not talking the hone you get at the local auto parts store, the real hone has a foot control and lots of cutting oil flooding the bushing. The foot control determines the diameter of the hone. It sounds complex, but it's pretty simple and very precise. I don't suggest trying it at home.....


Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Optional Link
Optional Image Link

(1) Type your Message (2) Load New Code (3) Type new code into box. (4) Click "Post Message" button